Effective Appraisal for Appraisers
Twilight or half day session delivered at your School/Academy
This session is aimed primarily at new or recently appointed Appraisers but will also be of value as ‘refresher’ training for more experienced Appraisers. It is particularly useful where Headteacher’s feel that, over time, the Appraisal process no longer has the impact on standards that it should or that there is a high level of inconsistency of practice
Participants will come away with the knowledge and skills to commence the appraisal process successfully and with confidence including, where relevant, making appropriate, robust pay recommendations.
From this session all delegates will have:
- a clear overview of the appraisal process and the important links with pay and with school improvement
- developed clarity of the roles and expectations of Appraisers and Appraisees
- practiced setting challenging SMART objectives and success criteria linked directly to your Academy/School’s vision, values and strategic priorities
- a good understanding of the importance of the professional standards in appraisal
- an outline action plan for relevant, effective monitoring strategies – ensuring Appraisee accountability
- clarity about how to draft a ‘firm but fair’ end of year review statement including making an appropriate recommendation on pay if this is part of their role
Participants are requested to bring their own JD, a copy of your school’s appraisal pro formas and your Academy/School’s pay progression criteria to use during the training. There will also be a short pre-course preparation activity to ensure delegates get the best from the session.
There is a clear emphasis on enabling Appraisees to take ownership for their process and accountability for their performance and development.
Gary Edwards will deliver the training and in his time with KCC he was referred to by Headteachers as “Kent’s Guru on Appraisal”. Learning will be achieved through expert input, facilitated, practical activities using the teachers’ standards and your own school's vision, values and improvement plan. There will be good opportunity for open Q and A.
The session can be delivered as a twilight session though a half-day [morning or afternoon] session is highly recommended as this will enable greater depth of understanding and more opportunity to focus on the key issues that make for a fully effective process.
The focus for the training can be either appraisal for teachers [including leadership], or support staff or combined. Schools/academies are welcome to partner with other local schools/academies in order to ensure maximum value for money and to gain the benefits from cross school learning and networking.
For further information, including price per session please email: email@example.com