There is considerable research that highlights the organisational and professional benefits of a coaching leadership style [CLS], Berg and Karlsen 2016 and increasingly the evidence also points to significant positive impact on school improvement, Lofthouse and Hollweck 2021 as well as staff wellbeing, Sardar and Galdalmes 2018.
This short series of three facilitated training sessions with high quality coaching resources is aimed at school/academy leaders at all levels, including senior teachers to:
- Develop and enhance high level coaching skills
- Understand how to bring coaching strategies and techniques into their leadership and motivation of staff
- Reflect on own career position and aspirations with a clear development plan to address current and future challenges
In the final session participants will use a well-established coaching tool to develop an action plan for extending a coaching ethos across their particular school or academy.
Session 1: Introduction to coaching skills for school leaders
- Expert input, facilitated discussion and opportunities to practise in real coaching scenarios with learning deepened through feedback and reflection
Session 2: Developing a Coaching Leadership Style
- Introduction to further coaching strategies and techniques relevant to specific school leadership situations with opportunity to deepen and extend coaching skills
Session 3: The Next steps
- Using a personality model and a reflective assessment tool participants will identify key actions for developing their professional and career aspirations. The session will also enable participants to develop practical steps to extend a coaching ethos across their school/academy
Delegates will be provided with brief exercises to complete in preparation for each session to maximise learning. Typically each session will be 3 to 4 weeks apart to enable participants to practise coaching skills and techniques in school with reflection and learning to be explored as part of a plenary discussion.
During each session participants will be provided with PMB bespoke coaching resources and will be sign posted to recommended readings, videos and podcasts.
Ideally the sessions are delivered off school site and St Augustine’s at Westgate has proved to be an excellent and cost-effective venue for this type of development activity.